Thursday 6 September 2012

Unofficial book club cake of the month...August


















We decided not to have an official book club meeting in August as so many of us were away on holiday at various different times. But we agreed to meet at a local pub for a drink and a catch up during the summer. Anyone who wanted, could read the unofficial book and we spent a few minutes discussing it.
It was, as I'm sure you've guessed, Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James.
Do I really need to go into a description of the book? I'm sure you have either read it or heard of it.


Needless to say there were various opinions. The best being that it was an enjoyable, if badly written, pacey, holiday read  with 'it was terrible and I didn't finish it' at the other end of the scale! However we were all skipping the sex scenes by the end, as they became tedious. We didn't mark it, as we weren't the full group, but I would personally give it 6.5.
I didn't have chance to make the cookies for our meeting then but we did have an official meeting this week, so I brought some extra goodies along to represent fifty shades of icing! I did really mix up fifty different shades although the effect is quite subtle (unlike the book). 




















Have you read it? What did you think.
xxx
Previous official book club cake of the month;
May 2012
April 2012
February 2012
January 2012

3 comments:

  1. The cakes are lovely and look delicious....fifty shades of grey frosting...wow! I have not read the book yet. I've been thinking about it but I keep hearing such contrasting opinions of it that I've not picked it up yet.

    Your book club cake posts have me thinking that I might really enjoy a book club. I'll have to check in my area to see if there are any active ones nearby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 50 shades of icing, such a funny idea ... I haven't read it, I've been put off by all the hype and my friends who have read it said pretty much the same thing, that by the end they were bored and skipping over the sex scenes ... although I know a few who have bothered to go on to the next book and apparently it is more interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha to your 50 shades of icing, very clever.

    I've read all three books over the summer and was intrigued by the hype to begin with. But was more interested in the relationship between the main characters when they finally developed, half way through the first book. That is not to say the sex scenes helped at the beginning but unfortunately I was disappointed with the ending.

    :)

    ReplyDelete