Monday 20 June 2011

Book club cake of the month...June

(Please don't worry about May's book club cake, it's just temporarily lost!)


This month we read Blindness by Jose Saramago.
It is about an unnamed city which has a mass outbreak of blindness. The story centers on a group of people, including, the first man to go blind and his eye doctor.
Initially they are put in quarantine, but, after a fire, they break out to discover everyone is blind.  Fortunately, for the reader, the doctor's wife is never blinded, so we can see the chaos and devastation through her eyes (and most of what she sees is pretty grim).
Jose Saramago was a Noble prize winning author, so obviously it is a fantastically written book, reflected in the score of 8 out of 10 by everybody.
OK, everyone apart from me...I gave it 6.  
I am a big fan of end-of-the-world movies and apocalyptic scenarios. However I like people to be more gun-ho and less...philosophical when facing the end of the world as they have known it.  I want the survivors to commandeer trucks and move to the country, not wander around aimlessly.
Don't take my opinion though, as the other members of my book group are much more literary and intelligent.
(If you're more like me, go and see 2012).

I was pushed for time and inspiration when coming up with a cake, so I made a large biscuit version of the cover of my book.

















The people infected with the blindness see only white, hence it is called 'The White Evil'.  So I added some white chocolate.  The front figure is the Doctor's wife, who never experiences the whiteness.

The next book is my choice.  We always give three titles and let the majority choose.  I decided to go for three more uplifting or funny books, than some of our recent choices.  The group choose 'The Finkler Question'
By page thirteen I was crying!

Previous Book club cake of the month

1 comment:

  1. I think you are a kindred spirit! I would love to meet you!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete