Wednesday 27 October 2010

HOLIDAY PROJECTS 3. Hooty owls



Now technically this isn't my craft project but Mr Lemon Drizzle's - he spent a few happy hours with the kidlets making these owls. So I can't really give you a complete tutorial, sorry (I was probably busy checking out the blogosphere...) but he says they are very easy and I did catch a few pointers.


The body of the owl is made from that old trusty piece of craft equipment, a toilet roll tube - what would we do without them? Each is cut to size (these owlets are half a tube high) then carefully pinched inwards from opposing sides at the top, before taping together to create the owl's tufts. (I was going to say 'ears' but I'm sure owls ears are flat to their heads...I could be wrong!)
He used cupcake cases for the tummys (each cupcake case was cut into quarters, and then the point of each quarter trimmed away before sticking on in layers) and then cut out two circles for eyes and a triangle of orange for a beak. It's then a half-circle of brown craft paper for the wings (or two halves of a cupcake cases for a snowy owl) and 'Hooty McTooty!' - we had a barnful of owls!
Big kidlet gets very excited when she makes things, and her first question is invariably: "Will you put it on your blog?" She kindly made name tags for them all so you wouldn't get confused as to who is who. ('Floot' rhymes with 'Toot').


21 comments:

  1. Wow this is so simple even I can do it! Thanks so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cute! and I already have everything to make them with

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these are too cute. Tell kidlet she did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet, tell you little one I particularly love Toot - very lovely little owl (or oo ooohh as my little one calls them).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are wonderful..i want to make some xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you congratulate Mr.Lemon Drizzle please, but also the kidlets for their very inventive naming of the finished goodies. Thankyou!!! [from the emerald isle].

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute!
    And by the way I'm pretty sure that an owl just has holes in the skull as ears at least that's the case with my parrot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are adorable...i think they would make great place cards for thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable!! I have featured them on my blog at http://www.myowlbarn.com/2010/11/hooty-owls.html. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *gasp* THESE are the cutest!!! yep, I think I will be making them as place cards as well!!! thank YOU so much for sharing!!

    xx Rena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Place cards are a great idea. I'd love to see the pics of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute owls! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are too cute...I just made some with my son. is it ok if I post on my blog and link back to you? I have followed you gorgeous cakes on Flickr for some time now (under Oh Sugar!)- you're one clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to make some of these!!! Cutest owls ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man! These are CUTE. Love the one with the white wings out extraspecially, but they all have their own adorable personality. Thanks for sharing how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so adorable and cute....!!! am definitely gonna try this one out...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling little project! My girls will love these! Pinning!
    Thanks for sharing! Tell your daughter the name tags totally made the pictures!
    Have a happy weekend

    Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your owl project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/hooty-owls/

    If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete