Sunday 29 April 2012

Goodbye my babies.



Last week a very nice man came and painted over my nursery. We had won his services in an auction of promises at the kidlet's school, as I knew we would never get round to doing it ourselves.
The kidlets have been sharing a room for some time and I initially turned their nursery into a play room...which they never used! So it quickly became a storage room for all my boxes and cake equipment. But the time had come to paint over my memories.
I can still remember the week I decorated the room, heavily pregnant, dreaming about the little babies that were to come, blissfully unaware of how exhausting the next four years would be!


I've always wanted a yellow room and this was the perfect opportunity. A lovely colour for a new-born, bright and cheery to take it's mind of it's Mother's tears. I added some painted penguins for a bit of fun and made some appliqued penguins for a picture frame.
The curtains and chair cover were blankets from IKEA. I made the chair cushions with some fabric I had designed in my previous life as a textile designer.



I had many happy moments in this room, mostly watching them sleep, the only time they were quiet and still, but we won't be needing a nursery again so it is painted white to make way for a guest bedroom.
I did shed a little tear because it's the end of an era, but my two little people are getting bigger and they are getting more interesting and gorgeous by the day.
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, did this post touch my heart. My beautiful babies are growing, growing too. Just last night I laid in bed remembering the times they would climb on my lap, wrap their arms around me, give me kisses. My 11 and 13-year old daughters are now too cool for that stuff and sometimes it just hurts to be without their loving touch. Thanks for sharing your trip down memory lane, the story and the room were very touching. I'm still trying to squeeze the love out of every day, just getting it in a different way, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your room was yellow! ...sunshine !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cheery room for the "new era" of your growing children. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really lovely, my children are 8 next month, 6 and 4 next month, so I can really empathise with you. I was only thinking today that my daughter who is soon to be 8 would love a change to her bedroom which is still currently in lime green, the colour we used when we didn't know whether we were having a girl or a boy. You are right though they do grow more interesting and more gorgeous by the day. Onwards & upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou all! I happily planning the decoration to go in the room now...moving on, moving up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the drawings or wall paper what ever you have , its really nice and beautiful, love your room.my kids and i prefer Fabric alphabet letters are much better because from learning point of view it is also a good point. i have the same color too... yellow..

    ReplyDelete