Friday 27 July 2012

Toasted oatmeal ice cream recipe


This is a recipe I used to make as a teenager, it is from an old Marks and Spencer cookbook that I still treasure. It sounds unusual, but it is delicious, and you can fool yourself into believing that it is healthy, as it contains oats! The oats and sugar turn into praline, and give the ice cream a gorgeous nutty, toffee taste. You must really watch the oat/sugar mixture while it is under the grill, as it burns very easily! 
had intended to make use of my ice cream maker, but it had lain idle for so long in the back of a cupboard that the liquid in the freezer bowl had started to leak. So I used the old fashioned 'taking it out of the freezer regularly and beating it' method. You only need to do this three or four times, but just make sure that the ice cream is semi-frozen when you do, or it won't be effective. 
Big kidlet decided to make some chocolate cookies today and I thought they would be perfect to use in an ice cream sandwich...and they were!

You can download a printable recipe here.

















































xxx

2 comments:

  1. fabulous post!! I'd forgotten about that recipe...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prettiest food in all the land!!! A feast for the eyes (and bellies)
    Inspired me to more fantastical cooking.
    Although I seem to be running awfully late for all these tea parties so must dash....
    but do pop by

    http://chelseaselkie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/mad-tea-party.html

    ReplyDelete