Thursday 15 September 2011

How to paint an owl cookie.













Rise up this mornin', Smiled with the risin' sun, Three little birds pitch by my doorstep 

We are having a very special owl and ladybird party soon and preparations are well underway. In the party bags there has to be a cookie, and I thought I'd share with you how to paint a happy (or should that be funny?) owl.
We had a lovely week in Cornwall during the Summer, and one of our trips was to the Screech Owl Sanctuary. It was fabulous, the kidlets got to stroke lots of owls and even have a go at flying them. We took lots of pictures , including this gorgeous chap (sorry I can't remember his name or breed). 

A few of their owls were used as models for the film Legend of the Guardians, so we got to see Movie stars too.
Anyway now we have our model we are ready to begin.

Leave your fondant to dry over night.
I used Sugarflair dark brown and liquorice and Wilton cornflower blue, a dark brown food colouring pen, and size 4 and 1 brushes. I use water to paint with.
The trick is to keep your brush as dry as possible, don't overload it with water and make you strokes as light as you can so they don't etch into the fondant.


If you have a go I'd love to see your creations and do let me know if you have any painting issues.

I still have a few places on my next course 29th September, (e-mail me nevie-pie@hotmail.co.uk) but you'll have to get in soon if you want to come.
xxx

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! Beautifully painted as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for this, I've had a go at painting onto fondant and really enjoyed it!
    would love to do your course but your a little far a way at the moment - maybe one for the future.
    your work is beautiful and an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha, you are simply amazing, I love this tutorial and how you broke it into small steps, but even with these steps. My neighbor would love these, he loves owls, perhaps I could attempt these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I've been trying to get my artist friend to paint on a cake for me - now I can show her it's not *too* scary! (At least for someone who paints...) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I am looking forward to trying this one day:)So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. Happy Fall from Michigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely gorgeous! and such a great tutorial. I paint on my royal icing cookies and they are great little canvases as well. I'd love to work with fondant some day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing Natasha, that is a fab tutorial that I am going to have to try out very soon. Will show you the results ;-)
    Cheers,
    Leoni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toowit...toowit...toowonderfully woooooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, thanks for the tutorial. Painting a cookie seems a little less scary than painting a cake. A good place to start I think.

    ReplyDelete