Thursday 8 April 2010

THE PAINTED CAKE


While I was training (many years ago) as an illustrator (alongside the fabulous Gretel) I had a holiday project.  I can't remember what the brief was, but I do remember that I painted a watercolour of a vase of flowers.  It probably also had a large amount of gold ink splattered all the picture, as I pretty much did that to whatever I was painting at the time.  I vividly remember having a tutorial and my tutor  looked at it with totally lack of interest and said, "It's nice but do you really want to have a career painting flowers?"

Well reader, that is exactly what I did!

And I loved it!

I have painted flowers and teddy bears for years, and now that I have children and not a 'career' the flowers and bears refuse to let me go.

I have tried in the last few years many little businessess to fulfill my creative urges none of which amounted to anything.
However I immediately knew that making and decorating cakes would be a winner. 
Never having had any formal cake decorating training I have no traditional skills to draw upon which is why pretty much immediately played to my strengths and began painting on cakes.

Actually when I say cake I mean cookies. These butterfly biscuits were my first attempt, but within minutes I was planning my first full size cake.



Fortunately I have many friends who need cakes (well who doesn't) and give me the dream brief  "Do what you think best!" I prefer to take this as a great compliment rather than a lack of care on their part.

I have been painting alot this last week and all for friends, so my imagination could go where it wanted.  I hope you enjoy them more than my ex-tutor will!


 This is a cake a friend asked me to make for a nurse who was leaving her practice to go and live in France.
An e-mail was sent round asking for suggestions for a cake with replies including a speculum, motorbike gears and condoms.  My friend suggested however I could come up with my own idea, so I  decided on something prettier..



I have another friend (how popular am I?) who teaches NCT classes and at the end of every class she has me make a little treat for her pupils (see also this post).  Her latest class coincided with Easter so I went for a duckling theme.


Finally a friends Nana was turning 90, the lady in question had been a ballroom dancer in the 1930's.  I used a 30's illustration and found some original textile designs. 


As you can see I am still painting flowers.  And hope to continue for a very long time!

27 comments:

  1. Your painting is sooo gorgeous, I envy you for this wonderful talent!
    I'll link your blog on my blog for my readers as an inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that was Terry? Always thought he was a bit of a t**t. Let's face it, we didn't exactly get the best illustration advice; plenty of people make a living painting flowers for commercial things, we were just encouraged to be radical and if you didn't fit that mould, then you were ignored or poo-poo'd. It's a miracle any of us are still doing it at all! Your gifts are so obvious and your creations just gorgeous - thank goodness we didn't take too much notice of the (male) opinions at college! (Why didn't we ever have any female tutors giving us advice about wrapping paper/textile/greetings card design? Far more useful).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately!
    It wasn't Terry, it was Alan. I often think I've probably made a better living at painting flowers than he did as an illustrator! Meow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan obviously knew nothing! You have perfected such a beautiful and unique style - loving your work! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may be the most talented person I've ever met. Well, I haven't met you, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are cakes are amazing and what a treat it would be to receive something so artistic! You wouldn't want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously your ex-tutor was very short-sighted. Your illustration style is so beautiful and well executed and whimsical...and very saleable. Thank goodness you didn't let him squash your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are BEAUTIFUL and so unique! I'm pretty sure you've just started a whole new industry trend. As for Alan: let him eat cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful painting. truly a piece of art in an edible form!you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I think flower painting is a real art and yours is amazing!! I really love seeing your work! DO you use food colouring and dilute it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your creations are absolutely perfect.You are so talented.♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. How can anyone bring themselves to eat your cakes, they are just to beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!

    Everything is sooo beautyful!

    Greetings from Vienna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic works of art - it would seem a shame to cut into them. But I would to get to the cake - yum yum!

    So glad you have found an outlet for your flower and teddy bear painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! stunning!! beautiful!! wowza you have the most stunningly fabulous talent! ;0)xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Your paintings are wonderful! The butterfly biscuits are so lovely.

    Thanks for entering my Giveaway and your right- I could just drop it into you if you won (perhaps buy a biscuit or two as well!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG!! I know i say this to you a lot of times, but i just can't help it...you are sooo talented! I love how you draw and love your painting! I can never in a million years paint like what you do! Awesome & Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what???!! you are AMAZING! do you just paint this on with the food coloring? i want to learn :) do you offer classes?
    [p.s. thank you for the comment on my blog :)]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your work on the cakes are beautiful. You are incredibly talented and as some have said, I cannot imagine cutting into any of those cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome painting! Really beautiful!
    Regards from Indonesia!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely stunning cakes, you are so inspirational! the designs, color combinations and and and... how do people cut into them?!!
    congratulations on your talent

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love your work. I hope to paint on a cake too someday. You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Estoy alucinada de las cosas tan maravillosas que haces, se nota que eres una artista y que pinta muy bien; ya quisiera ser yo una de tus amigas para que me regalaras una tarta o galletas que haces tan impresionantes, no me extraña que tus amigos te digan que hagas lo que quieras porque saben que los vas a impesionar. Sigo por tu blog Besinos

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love painting but often don't know how and what tools go use to create the texture n shades as we can with water colors ...what do u use for painting on cakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use food colours. I have a tutorial here which shows you how to use them. http://www.neviepiecakes.com/tutorials/ xxx

      Delete